Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Brooke's Banana Bread

Our senior year, my friend Brooke compiled a book of recipes from women in the ward for her Laurel project. She gave one to each of us who were graduating, and I still have mine... It has been much-used and well-loved! I don't know who gave Brooke the recipe for this really yummy, no-fail banana bread, so she's been getting the credit all these years :o) Love you, Brookie!

Brooke's Banana Bread
1/2 C butter or margarine
1 C granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 C mashed bananas (abt. 2 whole)
1/4 C milk
1 tsp lemon juice
2 C flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C nuts or chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar; add eggs and beat. Add bananas, milk, and lemon juice. Sift dry ingredients, add all at once, and mix till thoroughly combined. Stir in nuts or chocolate chips, if desired. Bake in well-greased and floured loaf pan for 1 hour.

**My favorite thing to do with this bread is to sprinkle brown sugar on top just before baking. It gives the top a sweet, crispy edge (see the picture above)--YUM!

1 comment:

The Spendloves said...

I'm glad my Personal Progress project is still helping others :). Well, a good cook never reveals her secrets, right? I know which recipe book of my mom's I got this out of, but I'll never tell. :) I like adding chocolate chips to mine too.